Friday, September 21, 2007

To Tell or Not to Tell...

That was, is and seems to always be the question. And, it's so complicated. I encounter a dude I went to college with on the street. Do I tell him?

Perhaps even more of a conumdrum is that I'm going to a wedding tomorrow of a friend from high school. This is a big problem. You see, it is common knowledge that the wedding is all about two people [who am I kidding, I mean two women]: the bride and her mother. That's it. everyone else just needs to tow the line. As a side note, I don't think I remember much from my wedding. Someone once asked me what our colors were, and I said I wasn't sure, but I remember that I wore black and white.

The point is that, tomorrow I am neither a bride nor a mother. Therefore, the wedding is not about me. Are you following me so far? Arguably, the only thing more exciting than a wedding is a baby. Certainly I don't have any business doing or saying something that would draw attention away from either the bride or her mother. And believe it or not, I'm not too much of an attention uh.. uh.. guy.

Sufficeth to say that I'm not very good at discriminating when to tell and when not to tell. So here's what I've decided. I'm just going to tell people when they ask me what's going on. This makes it easy because it means I've always got something to talk about. Case in point; that old buddy I saw on the street from college. He says to me, "Hey man, what's going on?"

So I say, "Not much, except my wife is pregnant." It's great; I can drag that conversation out for, at least, a few minutes. Certainly long enough for some small talk on the street; works pretty well. Hey, maybe I should propose to my wife that we always be pregnant...then we'll always have something to talk about.

No comments: