Saturday, September 22, 2007

I Blame Eve...

Evolutionarily speaking, morning sickness is intended to protect the baby's newly developing organs from toxins that our adult bodies handle on a regular basis.

So, from my experience, yogurt is toxic, as is juice, along with soup, fruits, vegetables, carbs, meat, and finally, water (my husband has suspected this last one for years, refusing to drink more water on the basis that it's "corrosive") Needless to say, our baby is super protected. It's a wonder that the baby gets any nutrition at all. As someone who used to finish my husband's meals, it's weird being disgusted at the most basic and beloved of foods. And, if it's not one end, it's the other!

I never thought I would propose body fluids as a topic of conversation, but pregnancy makes one lose all modesty. Along with protecting the baby from these so called "toxins", nausea is apparently a sign of a healthy pregnancy, as women who don't feel any sickness are much more likely to have a miscarriage. Based on how I've been feeling, I must be about to birth Superman or Wonderwoman. Since there is no way to avoid these feelings, as none of the suggested natural remedies actually go so far as to work. I'll just continue to lay on the couch and place blame on others.

I can't really blame my husband, because we sort of planned this together, and he's been trying really hard to accommodate my new eating and sleeping habits. I can't blame the baby, because we're the reason it's here. And, I'm not sure I blame the food industry, seeing as I really don't think our food is toxic. So, who is left to blame? Well, biblicly speaking, Eve and her little apple incident led to labor pains. I assume that includes all ills of pregnancy. So, I blame Eve.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Just had to rush over from TOM's website. WONDERFUL news! I couldn't be happier unless I knew you in person.

My best to you, and I look forward to reading all about it. (I'm a bit of a "birth junkie", so bring it on)

Unknown said...

I often wonder what it would be like to have the stomach flu for 3 plus months. I figure my wife would leave me, I would loose all my friend and get fired from my job... Sorry about the morning sickness. You're handling it much better than I would.